They were keeping us there for twenty-four hours

“We felt very good in Płock. My father found a job at German Neuman” says Mrs. Maria

Mrs. Maria and her mother had to go to Gestapo to register because they had come from Warsaw. “It was terrible! They were keeping us there for twenty-four hours. Mum said that she can’t work because she is ill and I wasn’t 16 so that I didn’t have to work.” reminds Mrs. Maria.

“9th January when was my 16 birthday an order to work came immediately. A work in shipyard. But me? So little girl? It wasn’t work for me!” -laughs Mrs. Maria. “A German women who was responsible for employment liked bribes very much. My uncle said to our housekeeper to wash curtain and send to the German. The order to work disappeared.”

Płock before Second World War was full of Jewes. From 10 000 people survived only several. “The German who employed my father was responsible for pacification of Płock’s ghetto. He was so greedy for riches. He took all things which had any value.” Says Mrs Maria with disgust.

In March ’45 when Russian came Neuman was escaping as the last. “We saw Russians at horizon when Neuman wasn’t away yet. He would have probably escaped but for peasant who killed him. Before going out Neuman gave my father keys to his flat. Neuman said that he would come back.”- says Mrs. Maria.

Mrs. Maria’s father didn’t want to move in to the flat before getting allocation. The flat was on a ground floor and was many times defrauded. Inside was only ferniture.

After War Mrs. Maria’s father get a job in department. “My father was activating

old factories. We survived this worst period ”